At the UN Millennium Summit in September 2000, 189 countries signed the United Nations Millennium Declaration on today’s most urgent challenges of human sustainability ...
... which roughly comprise the well-being of people, environmental concern and global co-operation. From this the following eight major development goals [Millennium Development Goals (MDGs]) were identified and set to be reached by 2015:
- Eraticate extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieve universal primary education
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Reduce child mortality
- Improve maternal health
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Develop a Global Partnership for Development
These MDGs have been adopted by 189 countries and their achievements are monitored by the United Nations Millennium Programme (UNMP).
Since 2005 the German Millennium Campaign (Millenniums-Kampagne) supports the implementation of the MDGs. They encourage, coordinate and support respective projects and events to direct people's attention towards the urgency of these developmental challenges and get them involved in the realization process. //